Desk Report: Ulcer is the result of an imbalance in your digestive fluids. It is considered to be a painful sore in the stomach lining or at the opening of the small intestine. Below are the 10 warning signs of ulcers you should know:
1. Abdominal pain: Experiencing a burning sensation or pain in the middle or upper part of the stomach after eating or at night.
2. Flu-like symptoms: Flu like symptoms such as nausea, fever, fatigue and general malaise does not go away over the next few days.
3. Indigestion: Ulcer can cause gastrointestinal pain and terrible indigestion.
4. Loss of appetite: Individual with ulcer may experience appetite loss due to intense and sudden stomach pain.
5. Nausea: Imbalance of digestive juices often lead to nausea. You will likely experience mild to severe nausea with an ulcer.
6. Heavy abdomen: Abdominal heaviness is a common thing to feel as an ulcer develops. The feeling of heaviness in the belly is similar to the burdensome feeling you can get after drinking lots of water.
7. Unexplained hunger: It is also common for someone with ulcer to feel hunger pangs after only a couple of hours from eating a full meal. These are not hunger pangs, but rather ulcer pains, that are caused by increased digestive juices.
8. Sudden weight loss: Loss of appetite may cause sudden weight loss due to lack of eating.
9. Vomiting blood: Vomiting is common with ulcer due to high levels of digestive juices in your stomach and intestines. But if your vomit contains traces of blood, this can indicate an advanced state of ulcer and needs medical attention as soon as possible.
10. Discoloured stool: Ulcer can cause discoloured stool that appear pasty, darker or bloody; a bloody stool indicates that your ulcer is growing in size or is becoming more severe.
risingbd/Dhaka/Feb 3, 2018/Nasim