Dhaka     Friday   18 September 2020

Sinha killing: RAB takes seven accused into custody for interrogation

News Desk || risingbd.com

Published: 12:47, 14 August 2020   Update: 22:28, 14 August 2020
Sinha killing: RAB takes seven accused into custody for interrogation

The Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), which is investigating the Major (retd) Sinha murder case, has taken the seven arrested accused including four policemen into custody following a remand order.

A team of RAB members took them into custody around 10.15am on Friday, said Md Mokammel Hossain, superintendent of Cox's Bazar District Jail.

Those remanded are Sub-Inspector Litan Miah and constables Safanur Karim, Kamal Hossain and Abdullah Al Mamun, Nurul Amin, Nizam Uddin and Mohamamd Ayas.

According to sources, a RAB team arrived at the Cox's Bazar District Jail to pick up the suspects around 11.00am on Thursday, but they later left the jail premises without taking the accused.

On Wednesday, a Cox's Bazar court placed the seven people on a seven-day remand each in a case filed by Sinha’s sister.

Among the detainees, there are three civilians who were made witnesses in the murder case filed by police.

But the RAB did not take three prime accused into custody and they are Teknaf Police Station's suspended Officer-in-Charge Pradeep Kumar Das, Baharchhara police outpost's Inspector Liakat Ali and Sub-inspector Nanda Dulal Rakkhit. They have still remained at the Cox's Bazar District prison, sources said.

“The trio was placed on a seven-day remand each on August 6, but they are still in jail. The investigating authority visited them there multiple times, but they are yet to take them into custody," said Md Mokammel Hossain.

Accoring to RAB sources, they need to verify some ‘sensitive information’ before taking the prime suspects into custody for grilling.

Major (retd) Sinha was killed in police firing at Baharchhara police check-post on July 31.

Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous, elder sister of Sinha, filed a case with Teknaf Senior Judicial Magistrate Court after the incident on August 5.